困知記

Knowledge painfully acquired

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The location of Chinese culture

Got a draft done of my paper for the conference of the International Society for the History of Rhetoric--the conference is in July, but to get a travel grant, I needed to finish a decent draft before the end of May. But my draft sucks... *Sigh*

I made some use of the Liang Rongruo stuff I posted here, as well as some writings by Zhang Qiyun (former Education Minister and founder of Chinese Culture University). My paper is trying to put some pressure on the "Chinese" part of "Chinese rhetoric." A lot of writing about Chinese rhetoric (and particularly, for my purposes, contemporary Chinese rhetoric) seems to assume that the "Chinese" part is relatively unproblematic. I tried to take one historical period (the approximately 20 years between the time the KMT took over Taiwan and the mid 1960s) and look at what kind of Chineseness the Nationalist government was promoting, in opposition to what, and to what ends. And then relate it to rhetoric and the teaching of writing and speaking. It's a bit of a tall order for a 20-minute conference presentation, but maybe it'll go over OK. (That's assuming, of course, I even get the grant.) At any rate, it did spur some thinking and writing that will help me in getting this *$*!$&!%0 dissertation written...

The title of my paper is "The Location of Chinese Culture: The Rhetoric of Chineseness in Post-World War Two Taiwan." (Originally I included colonial Taiwan, but found it was much too much to cover in a short presentation...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home